Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Burned Grapeleaves - learned tip from Col!

I had a few grapeleaves left so I decided to make them using the chickpea mixture. Did a great job on rolling them (have it down now Dad) and then started cooking them. Well, got involved with the computer (of course) and the water totally burned down to nothing and the grapeleaves were burnt badly as well. Wasn't worried about the grapeleaves but I thought my new pot was ruined. I had always put in dishwashing detergent with water and cooked it - but Col said to put a dishwasher tablet in the pan. I boiled it for about half hour and it cleaned the pot perfectly. The good thing about it is that it didn't boil over.

Katy had a swim meet last night and got a bad cramp - seems like she is not eating properly. I have plenty of food still to cook - shrimp, beef stew, crabcakes, chicken so I can easily make the challenge. But I have to put her first and buy food that she likes. Have to buy lots of fruit and veggies as well as more chicken,juices and gatorade. So I am going to put the challenge behind me. But it was fun.

What's important is that I learned new things - like making my own black bean veggie burgers and how to make lentil flour from lentils. Also learned how to make new dishes from things that didn't work - greek beef and pasta casserole from lousy beef stew and grapeleaves from channa masala (indian food). And with this economy - it's something we all need to do. Be less wasteful, not eat out as much and repurpose our food where we can. Thanks to all for your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment