Thursday, February 5, 2009

5 cans of clams instead of 3

Since we ended up having company, I used more clams than I was expecting. I was hoping to have linguine/clam sauce for 2 dinners. Now I will just make some manhattan clam chowder. Very little linguine left over - good for maybe 1 lunch. Matt has even been taking the soups to work - so they are going very far. When my father was dying, he told my brother Tim that since his family was so poor - they ate soup everyday. I can see where that is true. I make my soups so thick, they are more like a stew but very filling. Matt said he didn't even need a sandwich because he was full. I make great soups even in the summer - like gazpacho and vichyoisse (cold). I will have learned from our little challenge how to make our food dollar go further. We don't throw out leftovers and if we are not going to eat them - we feed what we can to the dogs. They are always appreciate of things like meatballs and pasta (hold the clams please!).

Today on to tackle the freezers. Looked yesterday and there are some things that I can't really identify. Have to do a better job of labeling the contents and the date. Since I have only been in NJ for 7 months - know the food can't be older than that.

1 comment:

  1. I AM NOT COMING OUT TO MY COUNTRY HOMES UNTIL MARCH! LOVE YOU BOTH DIZ <3

    ReplyDelete